Os mobile games, but specifically competitive games on mobile, are the biggest responsible for the revenue of the gaming market in 2019. The games industry earned US$ 120 billion dollars last year, and from that amount, $64 billion came from cell phones.
A staggering number that demonstrates that the mobile game market has already surpassed consoles and PCs in terms of revenue.
The calculation is from Super Data Research. Check the numbers:
- Mobile – US$ 64,4 bi
- PC – US$ 29,6 bi
- Console – US$15,4 bi
- GVC (video games) – US$6.5 bi
- XR (virtual reality and related) – US$6.3 bi
Some interesting points raised with the research data:
- The games and interactive media industry grew 4% in one year, with little change in the market.
- Free games accounted for 4 out of every 5 dollars spent on digital games in 2019, thanks to the strong performance of mobile games.
- Fortnite took the top spot for the second year in a row, generating $1,8 billion in 2019.
- XR's revenue increased 26% to $6,3 billion in 2019, thanks to new headsets like the Oculus Quest.
- As there were few AAA game releases for consoles in 2019, game sales on consoles dropped by 5%. Something that could change in 2020 with several titles coming soon like: Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 3, Marvel's Avengers, Cyberpunk 2077 and The Last of Us Part II.
- The console gaming market may also gain momentum in 2020 with the launch of the new Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X platforms.
– Games that earned the most in 2019
Below, you can see the list of games that “printed” the most money in 2019.
- Fortnite (US$ 1.8B)
- Dungeon Fighter Online (US$ 1.6B)
- Honour of Kings (US$ 1.6B)
- League of Legends (US$ 1.5B)
- Candy Crush Saga (US$ 1.5B)
- Pokémon GO (US$ 1.4B)
- Crossfire (US$ 1.4B)
- Fate/Grand Order (US$ 1.2B)
- Game for Peace (o PUBG Mobile Chinês) (US$ 1.2B)
- Last Shelter Survival (US$ 1.1B)
Of the 10 most profitable games in 2019, six of them are mobile-only games. PUBG Mobile does not appear on the list, but its Chinese version does. Free Fire must be in 11th position.
Compared to previous research. The data are more or less on the same level.
As has been pointed out since 2010, by several different researches and institutes, the games industry would be changed forever by mobile games, which is what happened.
Below you can see old news that shows the rise of mobile games:
Gameloft Vice President Talks About Freemium Controversy
iPhone games earn more than PSP
Smartphones grab share of laptop gamers
Nintendo's “mimimi” against the smartphone game market
Nintendo hopes to make a profit again in 2015, with help from the smartphone market
Mobile accounts for almost half of the video game market